This weekend was pretty gloomy here in SoCal. My life these past 6+ years in Newport Beach have kept me very spoiled weather wise and it turns out I can’t take 2 rainy days in a row –I mean, when did this happen?? I used to live in San Francisco, where I walked literally EVERYWHERE and I’d stay soaking wet for 6 hours straight because I was in college and never remembered to pack extra clothes in my backpack or was too lazy to carry them since I was already carrying heavy art boards all day. But Anyways… where did that Erika go?
Jump a few years later and I’m living back in Cali again (southern Cali) and can’t get my mind straight because the sun didn’t come out this weekend… lame! But that’s how I started looking for new tv shows to obsesses about. I was out at the beach for about 20-30min watching Tom and the guys race Traxxas cars but then we headed back inside, I opened a bottle of Rose, we put the fireplace on and ordered some Thai food (go to Mint Leaf if you live in Newp). And that’s when one of my friend’s recommended the show YOU –I know it’s been out for months but I had never given it a second thought, he did warn us it was addictive but all I heard was “the guy from Gossip girl is in it” and that’s all I needed to hear!
It is now Monday and I have officially finished the first season. Yup, I binge watched the whole thing in like 24hrs. I don’t want to over sell it though, keep in mind crappy that weather does help keep you comfy inside, but in my opinion this show was casted perfectly! It’s also fast paced, creepy but not scary (huge difference + very important if you know me) and it makes you think twice about how much we’re all sharing on social media. The only thing I regret is not reading the book first!
| Shows I binge watched in the past few months, in no particular order… |
- YOU (it’s on Netflix). I think I’ve shared enough, it’s up to you now <3
- Maniac (also on Netflix). I think it’s a very creative story! And okay, I’m not an expert but I love how it was filmed, it made me feel like I was in the story with them, also kinda futuristic which I’m surprised to be into lately and I happen to looove Emma Stone so this one was not hard to love.
- Sabrina (you guessed it, Netflix too). I swear this isn’t sponsored by Netflix, it’s only a coincidence!! Now, this one is a bit for my nostalgic side because I grew up loving Melissa Joan Heart and wanting to dress like her (don’t judge). I’ll admit the romance part of this story is a bit silly, or at least for me BUT I really liked the twist. It’s like a whole new story, but not. Am I confusing you? Maybe I just want you to go watch it too…
- The Paradise (on Netflix). The story takes place in the 1870’s in North of England and it is based on a novel by Emile Zola. The show is about the rise of this department store called The Paradise which offers every dreamy little trinket a woman might desire presented in the most aesthetically pleasing way. So what’s so interesting about it? Well, it may not be a big deal to us now we (or at least I) live for the right aesthetics 24/7, but it’s fun to see how this might have first been introduced back then. It’s a light, dreamy and simpler times type of show, not anywhere near as dark as the ones I mentioned above but every bit as entertaining.
- The Haunting of Hill House (on Netflix). If you watched my Instagram Stories while I was in Paris this Fall then you watched me getting spooked by this show haha. Basically Tom and I got stuck at our Airbnb for a day and half because of weather so we bought a ton of cheese, wine, pastries, put a pizza in the oven and binge watched the hell out of this!! First I have to say that I DO NOT KNOW HOW HE CONVINCED ME, I do not watch scary shows, movies or anything!! But the show is based on this novel from 1959 that goes through a trauma early on, the cast looked pretty good (I’m always annoying about that) so I gave in! And even though it messed up with my head for the rest of the week, I am so glad I watched it! It’s a thrilling story.
| Shows I’m looking forward to this 2019 |
- Game of Thrones (on HBO, season 8). Again, if you ever watch my Instagram Stories then you know Tom and I have been reading the books (or more like he’s reading them to me because he’s read them all), but if you haven’t then I’ll also tell you I LOVE the show! The actors are all to good, so I follow both stories. If you’ve never watched GOT, I’ll say it can get gory pretty fast which I’m not into to be honest, but for once I can move past it because the drama and struggle for power between the characters is that good! Oh and if you’re wondering, the books are 100 times more additive. This new season comes back April 2019.
- Big Little Lies (on HBO, season 2). I don’t know where to begin! I adored this show so much. The women in it killed it, just killed it with their performances. The story is based on the book by Liane Moriarty, which I haven’t read but the show is so binge-worthy! I was fascinated from episode one, it’s dark, it feels relatable (no I don’t have kids but we all know these types of people so it’s entertaining to watch) and it basically gave me the chills. I’m excited how they develop the story for season 2 and with Meryl Streep joining the crew I literally cannot contain myself.
- Good Omens (on Amazon prime). I guess it’s time for me to sign up because this show sounds like it will be right up my alley. This Fantasy drama tells the story of an angel and demon teaming up in order to prepare for an apocalypse. Honestly the first thing that drew me to look into it was a release photo for the upcoming show of both actors in their full costume –yup clothes and style are enough to get me into looking up anything! Beyond that I just liked the theme of it so we’ll see…
- Top of the Morning (on Apple’s first ever show). It first caught my interest because Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon will be in it and Friends came rushing back to me! It looks like this time they will be playing news morning show hosts, but whatever role they play I am all in. So excited for this one! And sure I’m also curious to see what Apple is doing next.
- Grey’s Anatomy (on Hulu and Netflix, season 15). Did you think I could make all these lists and not include my favorite show of all times??! I truly hope this show never ends. Shonda Rhimes is genius! I’ve watched other shows she’s been a part of but none compare to this one. I began watching in college about 10 years ago and I’m still here, believe me it’s one of the gooood ones.
Bonus: La Casa de las Flores or The House of Flowers (en Netflix). Acabo de ver la peli “Perfectos Desconocidos” con la actriz Cecilia Suarez, que también esta en ésta serie y me ENCANTO! Sentí la actuation muy auténtica y te deja queriendo mas. Así que si tienen una tarde libre, les recomiendo que la vean. // I wanted to include this one for those of you who speak Spanish (do not match the english version) because I love that over the years we are getting more options out there not just telenovelas, and this one is so great! It’s funny in a dark way and there’s plenty of drama but not the cringy-type.
If I’m missing a series you think I should watch let me know in the comments below, I’m always up for suggestions!!